Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Dear Sister Hammond

Dear Sister Hammond:

You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Washington Federal Way Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 18 months.

You should report to the Provo Missionary Training Center on Wednesday, October 28, 2015. You will prepare to preach the gospel in the English language.

I am so excited about this call, as soon as I opened it I could feel the spirit testify to me that this is where the Lord needs me to serve. One awesome fact about the day that I report, October 28th is my cousin Livvy's birthday. I feel so honored to be able to celebrate the memory of her by leaving on my 18 month mission on her birthday.

Before I enter the MTC, there is some training that I'm asked to do. I've watched the District; a short series about missionaries out in the field and their experiences. But lately I've been studying in Preach My Gospel. The first lesson is about Heavenly Father's love for us and the ministry of prophets up until the Restoration, including Christ's time on the earth and the Great Apostasy. There is so much to cover just in that first lesson, sometimes it's a little overwhelming. I mentioned this to a friend who is currently serving in Cleveland, Ohio. He told me not to worry, be myself and put my trust in God. He just gave me the best advice and let me know that I'll feel as if I know nothing, but if I keep studying and put my trust in Him, then I'll know what to say in the moment.

I can't wait to give my life to the Lord. I'm going on a mission because when it feels like my life's in the middle of a hurricane, my faith is built on the rock of my Redeemer. I want people to know that they're not alone, death is not the end, and they can do all things through Christ. I love this gospel and I know how true it is.

My missionary scripture is Alma 29:9 - "I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy."

God lives, this church is true, and I report in 63 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment